Discover the things to do in Gaiman in one day as there are more places to learn about this small valley town than just drinking Welsh tea.
🔎 Check here the quide to travel to Puerto Madryn.
Gaiman is a small town in the Lower Valley of the Chubut River, located about 80 kilometers from Puerto Madryn and about 12 kilometers from Trelew. Its main attraction lies in the great Welsh colony that was installed at the end of the 19th century, which brought with it its customs and traditions, mainly gastronomic.
Table of Contents
Map – things to do in Gaiman
If you know someone who came to Gaiman in the 80’s or 90’s, they will talk to you with nostalgia about Parque el Desafío. It was an amusement park for children made by a retired man with recycled objects. It is in the Guinness Book of 1998 for being the place with more recycled space in the world.
🔎 Check here the top 5 things to do in Puerto Madryn.
1. Visit tea houses in Gaiman
The town is well known nationally and internationally for its tea houses and the famous Welsh cakes, and that’s why it’s at the top of the list of things to do in Gaiman.
Tea houses are only open in the afternoon (usually from 2pm to 7pm), to go for a tea break served on fine porcelain dishes and enjoy different cakes accompanied by scones, bread with various types of jams. A real delight. The tea can be served again as many times as you like and the cake portions are really abundant (some can be repeated).
The most typical cake is the Welsh, a black cake based on chocolate and nuts. Although there you are served different varieties, among which are the lemon, dulce de leche (caramelized sweet very typical of Argentina), cream, strawberry and apple.
There are many tea houses scattered around the town, although there are two that are the most well known:
- Ty Gwyn: it is located on the north bank of the Chubut River and is one of the first tea houses in the village.
- Ty Te Caerdydd: its fame was acquired in 1995, when it was visited by Lady Di. It has a beautiful garden area at the entrance and although it is a little far from the center. Nowadays, it is closed permanently.
- Plas y Coed: one of the oldest tea houses in Gaiman, with a warm and quiet atmosphere where you can taste the traditional cakes.
- Casa de Té Gaiman: it does not have the decoration of the typical tea houses, but it stands out for the family attention and abundance in the portions.
Due to the high inflation in Argentina, prices can suffer constant increases. It is recommended to check the updated prices in the official websites. To consult how much it costs in dollars or euros, we leave an online converter (you can also check in your home currency):
📝 Travel tip: there is an option to order a mix of Welsh cakes (sold by weight) and take them to eat out. You can get about 12 portions of cake in 1 kilo. Good thing is that you can choose between different varieties to taste and savings are great.
2. Welsh Regional Historical Museum
If you want to go deeper into the Welsh traditions and the first immigrants who arrived in Patagonia, this museum located in the old Gaiman station has a large number of collection objects of the Welsh immigrants and even a library with books from Wales. Undoubtedly, it was another attraction to see in Gaiman.
3. Tehuelche Mapuche Museum (formerly the Anthropological Museum)
This museum is another place to see in Gaiman. It consists of an exhibition of elements used by the ancient inhabitants of the area, the Tehuelche and Mapuche Indians. There are ancient hunting elements such as boleadoras, spears, and arrowheads. In addition, the history of these Indians in the region is told.
4. Bryn Gwyn Geopark
The geopark is an open air paleontological sample, located 8 kilometers from Gaiman. Through marked trails, fossils of prehistoric animals that inhabited the area can be observed. In addition, the place has an Interpretation Center.
5. Casa del Poeta Museum
The Casa del Poeta Museum works in a typical Welsh house of the late nineteenth century where Evan Thomas, a poet and journalist of the Welsh community, has lived. It shows the daily life in past times and each room reminds the uses and customs of the Welsh who came to populate Patagonia from the mid-nineteenth century.
Other places with things to do in Gaiman in one day
- First house in Gaiman, dating from 1874
- Old Post Office
- Railroad Tunnel, which tells the history of the railroad with photos and a video with testimonials from local people.
- Gaiman viewpoint: to admire the views of the town and the valley from the heights.
How to get to Gaiman from Puerto Madryn?
- If you travel by own or rented car, it is about 80 kilometers by paved road. You should take route 3 towards Trelew, which is a double-handed highway, and then before entering this city, take the detour on route 25 to Gaiman.
- If you travel by public transport, from the Puerto Madryn Bus Terminal there is a great frequency of buses to Trelew, the service is provided by the company 28 de Julio and MaryValle. From Trelew to Gaiman, you can take a remis, cab or the intercity buses 28 de Julio, which leave from Trelew every half hour.
- Hire a guided tour from Puerto Madryn, which takes you directly to Gaiman.
📷 Take a look at this Gaiman trip with a local agency. Book your place!