One of the recommended activities to do in Ushuaia is to visit Martial Glacier, the best place for trekking, skiing and enjoying the views of the Beagle Channel.
🔎 Check here the quide to travel to Ushuaia.
Only 7 kilometres from the city centre of Ushuaia, you will find the Martial Glacier, which offers impressive views of the city of Ushuaia, the Beagle Channel and the hills surrounding the city.
It is located within the Martial Glacier Nature Reserve and access is free of charge. It can be visited both in winter, since it has a Ski Centre where you can go alpine skiing and Nordic skiing, and in summer for trekking and canopy among the Fuegian forests.
🔎 Check here to see the top 5 things to do in Ushuaia.
Table of Contents
Martial Glacier Nature Reserve Trails
- Forest Path: this is the name given to the path from the Mountain Refuge to the end of the chairlift. It is quite steep.
- Filo trail to the panoramic viewpoint of Ushuaia: it is 600 metres long and climbs up to 700 metres above sea level. From here, the views of the city centre of Ushuaia with the Beagle Channel in the background are amazing. Ideal to stay and take lots of pictures.
- Martial Glacier: it is a little more than a kilometre away but you climb from 500 to 1000 metres above sea level. Although the trekking to get to the base of the Martial Glacier is uphill (especially if it is done from the Refugio), it is suitable for the whole family as it doesn’t require such a demanding physical effort. However, in winter you have to take into account the snow and the cold, which can make the hike difficult.
- Cañadón Negro: it is the longest in distance, about 1,6 km, and climbs up to 1050 metres above sea level.
- Waterfall trail: 400 m long and 700 m above sea level.
Then, the descent to the Martial Glacier Mountain Centre or to the city takes about half the time of the ascent. In any case, it is worth going slowly to avoid injury and stopping along the way to take pictures of the city of Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel.
Mountain Centre Services
If you are going to visit the Martial Glacier, at the Mountain Centre (where the hike to the base of the glacier begins), there are the following options for eating and lodging.
- La Cabaña tea house: in this beautiful tea house you can enjoy a hot chocolate, tea or coffee, accompanied by a slice of cake or alfajor. There are also alternatives for lunch.
- Mountain Refuge: in this small cafeteria and bar, you can eat stews and sandwiches accompanied by a drink.
Recommendations to visit the Martial Glacier
- Bring warm clothes and a waterproof jacket: the weather in Ushuaia is very changeable in the same day, and even more so when we are at high altitude. You should bring something waterproof in case it rains or snows, even in summer.
- Carry a bottle of water: it is very important to hydrate yourself when trekking to the base of the Martial Glacier.
- Do not throw rubbish on the path.
How to get to the Martial Glacier from downtown Ushuaia
Although there are public buses that make the journey, the easiest way to visit the Martial Glacier is to take a taxi from the city centre to the Martial Glacier Mountain Centre, and then start the hike up the ski slope. If the taxi fare is shared between several people it is more convenient than taking public transport.
Another option is to walk from the city, but be aware that the climb is quite steep.
There are chairlifts, but they may not be in operation during your visit.