If you are going to visit El Calafate between October and April, one of the activities you have to do is the trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier, one of the natural wonders of Argentina. Here we tell you all the necessary information to carry out the activity.
Types of trekkings on the Perito Moreno Glacier
There are two excursions to do the trekking on the Perito Moreno glacier, starting from Puerto Bajo Las Sombras and crossing the Rico arm in a boat:
- Minitrekking: the walk on the Perito Moreno glacier takes an hour and a half. Once you cross the Rico arm, a 20-minute walk along the shore of the lake until you reach the glacier. The glacier walk is done by groups of 20 people. The total excursion lasts 10 hours between the transfer from El Calafate to the port of Puerto Bajo las Sombras and the crossing of the Rico arm in a boat.
Check this tour:
- Big Ice: the difference with respect to the minitrekking, is that the walk through the glacier is more complete, lasts three and a half hours, with half an hour for lunch on top of the glacier. In this case, the walk takes place through the southern moraine of the glacier to a viewpoint, from where you access the glacier. The walk through the glacier is done by groups of 10 people. The total duration of the excursion with the transfer lasts 12 hours.
In both excursions, small blue lagoons and deep cracks can be observed, along with the impressive sensation of walking on a large ice wall.
What does the Perito Moreno Glacier hike include?
The company in charge of the service provides:
- Guide in Spanish, English or Portuguese in the bus transfer from El Calafate to Puerto Bajo Las Sombras, and mountain guide to walk on the glacier.
- The crampons, harnesses and helmet to walk on the glacier.
- A guided visit to the footbridges of Los Glaciares National Park early in the morning.
What is not included is the entrance fee to Los Glaciares National Park.
What do I have to take with me to trek on the Perito Moreno Glacier?
- Waterproof jacket, gloves and cap.
- Warm clothing.
- Trekking shoes.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses for the reflection produced by the ice.
In addition, it is necessary to take food and drink to stay hydrated, since the physical effort is of medium/high level.
When can I hike on the Perito Moreno Glacier?
Depending on the chosen excursion, the time of the excursion changes a little:
- Minitrekking: from August to the end of May.
- Big Ice: from September 15 to the end of April.
Who can do the trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier?
- Minitrekking: people from 10 to 65 years old.
- Big Ice: people from 18 to 50 years old.
In both cases, trekking cannot be done by people with cardiovascular problems, pregnant women, overweight people, respiratory problems such as asthma and physical disabilities.